Thursday 10 March 2016

Currently knitting - Sirdar Lady's Jumper

I have decided to try and do some regular posts which will look at what is currently on my knitting needles. At the moment I can not knit as much as I normally do and I need a way of seeing that some knitting is still happening and that progress is indeed being made. Otherwise, I focus on how much I haven't knitted, that I could have knitted by now if only my neck and shoulder were up to it. Obviously, that is not a very positive way of looking at things so I need to fix that!

 I am seeing a brilliant and understanding Physio who is getting my neck and shoulder working again, there are great improvements already and I will spare you the details of the excruciating armpit massages that have helped to make that happen!


I started this pretty 1950's feather and fan pattern jumper on the first of January. I keep a little notebook in my knitting bag to keep track of these things, including row counts, changes or clarifications, number of balls of yarn used, sizing etc. When I finish a project I transfer that info plus a picture of the pattern into my knitting journal/scrapbook which I really should do a post on at some point.


I very much liked the original colour scheme but knew that it wasn't really me and that I wanted something with more of an autumnal palette. The original pattern was knitted in 3-ply but I figured a thin 4-ply should do just as well. This is where I admit that whilst I do tension squares and check sizing if I am knitting for others I don't do it as much if I am knitting for myself as I just want to get started. So if this turns out massive or too small I have only myself to blame!

I am in the unfortunate position of being a knitter who loves using real wool but who can not tolerate it against my skin. I go like a crazed itchy thing and need to rip off whatever I am wearing. I have found that a wool/silk blend can be ok as long as I wear long sleeves and a scarf round my neck (handily looking like I have styled in an accessory but actually just anti itch protection)!

When I went to Yarndale last September I was looking specifically for yarn to knit this jumper and another as yet unstarted jacket. I fell for the beautiful colours of this lovely yarn from Eden Cottage Yarns. It is Askham 4-ply in Walnut, Crocosmia, Air and Yarrow. It is a blend of baby alpaca (70%) and silk (30%) and it feels very soft indeed.


This is how it looked when I had got all the colours knitted in so it was the first chance to check that I did like them all knitted up together. Which I do. Phew!


This is less of a close up and I've spread the stitches out a bit so that it is possible to see the pattern a little better.


Here you can see that I have done the armhole shaping and the back of the jumper is on it's way to being complete. I tend to share my knitting progress, amongst other things, on Instagram so do come along and say hello on there.

17 comments:

  1. Really lovely jumper and knitting. I also like the model's hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better very soon, It must be hard not being able to knit, I am glad to here the therapy is working for you! I love the pretty colours you have chosen, its going to look stunning! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy. I have to say the colours just called out to me at Yarndale and make me very happy!

      Delete
  3. It's lookinf gorgeous so far, those colors are really beautiful! That acidic yellow/green especially :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is my favourite colour of the 4 so I used it as the main colour so that there will be lots of it in the jumper.

      Delete
  4. ohhh so pretty! The colours are wonderful together. Looking good! and take care of those hurting body parts.

    Liz :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I am behaving like my Physio has told me to!!

      Delete
  5. Lovely! I love feather and fan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't knitted feather and fan before but I am really enjoying it.

      Delete
  6. That's fantastic news about the physio helping. I'm really happy for you, sweet Kate, and hope dearly that it will continue to.

    Many hugs & happy weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jessica. I have my next physio session tomorrow so I will find out how I am getting on!

      Delete
  7. Oh, that is nice, the colours look great together. (I'm glad I'm not the only person who doesn't always do tension squares for themself, either... though I have learned the hard way that I should!)

    I hope your neck and shoulder continue to get better, it must be so frustrating when they aren't working properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mim, literally two days after posting this I ran into a problem and realised I has cursed myself by mentioning tension square!! Think it is all fixable but had to take a small, unplanned break!

      Delete
  8. This looks so promising! Can't wait to see the results!

    I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your neck and shoulder. I do have some issues with my neck and shoulder as well but luckily I'm still able to knit a hour or 2 every day. But that is the maximum at this moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take care of your hurting bits too Anthea!

      Delete